Friday, July 19, 2013

I Have an Aversion

We all love broccoli, right? (Image from Wikipedia)
I have to admit it, I don't like broccoli, not one bit. But I still wanted to start this blog where I share my journey towards better health.

For most people, broccoli is a symbol for a healthier diet, but it also is a symbol for the sacrifices you have to make when you eat healthier.

And I think that's a myth. You don't have to sacrifice anything, because that's the wrong way to look at things.

If you want to eat healthier, sure, you have to change what you eat. You can't eat pizza for breakfast, ice cream for lunch, and a twinkie (do they still make those) before bedtime.

For a long time, I ate like this. Okay, I didn't eat twinkies, because we don't have them where I'm from, but I did drink soda, eat cookies, cinnamon buns, and ice cream. I used to practice sports, so I never really had a weight issue.

But what I did have was stomach problems, eczema, and a whole slew of other things, not to mention a blurry mind.

So while I don't eat a lot of broccoli today, I eat what I can. I stick to the 80/20 principle when it comes to healthy eating. I don't try to force myself to eat fruits and vegetables 100% of the time, because I've tried that, and it doesn't work.

Instead I eat a whole foods diet of:

  • Potatoes
  • Rice
  • Whole-grain bread
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables (when I can stand them)
And I do my best. I also take a multivitamin supplement, and a high-quality fish oil supplement to help cover the bases. Oh and I also take a vitamin D supplement, which I think is crucial, since I live in an area where we don't get a lot of sunlight.

There's been a lot of research done on supplementation, for example if you want more on vitamin D research, check out the vitamin D council.

Basically what I've found when living a healthier life is that you can take things one step at a time. You don't have to achieve perfection right away, because you'll never reach a perfect state of health or happiness anyway.

I do what I can with what I have. I try to avoid reading magazines and "advice from the experts" because it only confuses me.

Instead, I listen to myself and what feels right and doable for me.

While I have an aversion to broccoli, I've begun the journey to better health. I hope you'll join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment